PERSONALITY SPECIFICS OF THE PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN
The article is devoted to the study of the personal features, psychological well-being, adaptive potential and the state of flow among the professional musicians because every profession requires a person to have certain specific psychological characteristics or qualities, which often directly affect the results of work. The empirical study, carried out on a representative sample of 182 professional and amateur musicians, has shown that the level of involvement into musical activity influences not only the personality trait characteristics of the participants but also their level of psychological well-being and adaptive abilities. The hypothesis of the research has been confirmed. The statistically significant difference in several personal traits of professional and amateur musicians has been proved. The professional musicians in comparison with amateur musicians are prone to autonomy, independency, personal growth, a sense of continuous selfdevelopment and self-perfection with time; they are capable to resist social pressure. At the same time they have higher level of anxiety and aesthetic features as well as low of level of tolerance to unfavorable factors of professional activity particularly under stressful situations. The amateur musicians show a highly developed capacity of socialization, adequate self-appraisal of their role in a group, orientation to maintenance to normative behavior as well as a high level of emotional stability in comparison with professional musicians. Our data complement the data of other scholars` data in the aspect of the impact of involvement into musical activity on a psychological well-being of the individuals which has not been studied before. The paradox of psychological well-being with the absence of universally accepted predispositions for it, we describe by the probability of experiencing a state of flow. The results of the research can be used in psychological work with students and teachers of musical educational institutions, as well as the professional musicians, with the aim of improving their psychological health and well-being and preventing the emergence of states of mental disadaptation.
2. Психологія музиканта-виконавця: Монографія / І.Ф. Аршава, В.Ю. Кутєпова-Бредун. – Д. «А.Л. Свідлер», 2020. 168 с.
3. Бараш Б. А. Психопрофилактическая помощь студентам вузов. Психогигиена и психопрофилактика. Л., 1983. С. 39–45.
4. Блинова О. А. Личностно-ориентированные тренинги творческой самореализации для музыкантов-профессионалов. Музыкальное творчество на рубеже третьего тысячелетия: тезисы международной научно-практической конференции. Астрахань, 2001. С. 192–194.
5. Ильин Е. П. Психология творчества, креативности, одаренности. СПб.: Питер. 2009. 448 с.
6. Кирнарская Д. К. Психология специальных способностей. Музыкальные способности. М.: Таланты – ХХI век, 2004. 496 с.
7. Моляко В. О. Психологія творчості – нова парадигма дослідження конструктивної діяльності людини. Практична психологія та соціальна робота. 2004. № 8. С. 1–4.
8. Arshava I. F. The comparison of personal traits of the professional and amateur musicians / I.F. Arshava, V.Y. Kutepova-Bredun / European Scientific Journal. ESJ. 2015. Vol. 11. № 20. P. 46–55.
9. Arshava І. The specifics of psychological well-being of the professional and amateur musicians /І. F. Аrshava, V. Kutepova-Bredun / Quare 2018, 18-22.06.18, The Chech Republic, 2018. P. 6.
10. Csikszentmihalyi M. Beyond Boredom and Anxiety: Experiencing Flow in Work and Play. San Francisco. CA: Jossey-Bass, 2000.
11. Kemp A. Personality differences between the players of string, woodwind, brass and keyboard instruments and singers. Bulletin of the Council for Research in Music Education, 1981. р. 33–38.
12. Kemp A. The musical temperament: Psychology and personality of musicians. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 1996.
13. Kirnarskaya D. The natural musician: On abilities, giftedness and talent. Oxford: Oxford University Press,2011.
14. Rheinberg F. Die Erfassung des Flow-Erlebens. The assessment of flow experience, in J. Stiensmeier-Pelster and F. Rheinberg (Eds.), Diagnostic von Motivation und Selbstkonzept / F. Rheinberg, R. Vollmeyer, S. Engeser. Gottingen: Hogrege. 2003. P. 261–279.
15. Seligman M.E. Positive psychology: An introduction. Amarican Psychologist / M.E. Seligman, M. Csikszentmihalyi. 55 (1). P. 5–14.
16. Seligman M. Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Wellbeing. 2011. New York: Free Press.